Sunday 24 September 2017

Mellow yellow - CD Sunday

The CD Sunday challenge is all about making items using craft CD Roms. You can use other craft items on your card/project but you must include something from a CD. So if you like colouring stamps or digis you can still enter the challenge but you must include something from a CD such as a backing paper, a sentiment or a butterfly for example. In your blog post you must give the name of the CD you've used. This is especially important if the items you've used can be bought as a download as well as a CD as the Design Team can't tell which has been used unless you tell us. Your card can't be in considered for a prize if you haven't used a CD or if you haven't told us the name of the CD in your post. Now you may think that these instructions are easy enough but in every challenge we have entries that can't be picked as a winner. The Design Team still leave comments on the blogs but there's no chance of winning if the above hasn't been followed. OK enough of that onto my card for this theme.
Mellow Yellow is the new theme for the CD Sunday Challenge picked by Wynn. 
Mellow Yellow brought to my mind an image of a sun with the rays branching out from the centre. So I was quite pleased when I opened Papercraft Inspirations magazine, issue 167, and found a guide on how to make Starburst cards. 
I had to use yellow in the design, as per Wynn's theme, and knew that Kraft card went well with yellow so I set about looking through my craft CDs for backing papers that went together.
This is my finished card, which includes a few 'firsts' for me:
                                                    


I started with a cream card blank and covered it with Kraft card which was then covered with the first of the backing papers - that was the easy, quick bit done LOL!
For the starburst/sunray effect I chose 3 further backing papers which were cut into 11 cm lengths but different widths. Here comes one of the firsts! Each piece had to have the edges inked and I always shy away from this as I make a right mess. I used Frayed Burlap Distress Ink and I'm pleased with how it turned out although it's not very noticeable in the photos. These rectangles were then cut in half to make triangles which were glued onto Kraft card. 
A second, smaller rectangular mat of Kraft card was covered with the spotty backing paper and the triangles were then arranged to form the sunburst. I used foam tape to raise them up from the spotty paper. The triangles are made to be too long for the mat so you then cut off the overhanging edges.
Time for the another first! A faux stitch effect was added to the papers with a black fine liner. I made a right mess of this with different sized stitches and wonky lines. I've since read somewhere to use a piece of card in order to keep the lines straight. If you use a plastic ruler the ink can stay wet on it and then smudge your paper.

                                                       

I then added my own take on the design by making a faux bow and sticking the bow and a length of ribbon to a piece of Kraft card and placing it along the lower half of the design. The ribbon was taken around the back of the mat and glued in place. The whole layer was then glued to the prepared card blank. To cover the area where the 'rays' join together I die cut a scalloped circle from Kraft card and a plain circle from yellow card. A sentiment was then stamped onto the yellow card.
I finished the card by glueing yellow dew drops onto the centre of the ribbon and the centre of the sentiment. Finally I added some really tiny dew drops to the top right and bottom left of the second layer of Kraft card - again they're difficult to see in the photos.


The challenge runs until Saturday 7th October at 13:00. Please don't forget to include something from a Cd!

The CDs I used are all from Creative Crafting World - Perfect Essential Companions, Perfect Forever Companions and Perfect Floral Companions.



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful interpretation of the theme and great clear instructions Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that is wonderful! I always thought that sunburst effect needed a die, didn't realise it could be done with careful measuring
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Pamela. You have done it again - left me with my mouth open (which is not a pretty sight). I had no idea when I first saw your card how complicated it was to achieve. Well done on all that effort. The card is brilliant.
    Hugs
    Carol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the work that you put into the card, the effectiveness of your design totally gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning card with perfect geometry! I love how you pushed yourself to try different techniques too. I do a lot (too much) faux stitching on my cards, I just do it by eye and don't worry about differing stitch lengths or going a bit wonky, I figure it would look like that if I hand stitched it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great design as usual from you Pamela. Loved your clear instructions and tip re faux stitching. I always steer clear of this as I make a mess usually but I love the effect so may give it another go. Watch this space!!....as they say. W x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sunray is very effective, a great design using lovely papers.
    Jocelyn x



    ReplyDelete

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) commencing 25 May 2018 by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.