Sunday 10 June 2018

Second time around/recycled - CD Sunday

I hope you all enjoyed the Beautiful Blooms theme at CDSunday – it was lovely to see so many entries for Jocelyn’s theme.
This fortnight it’s Carol’s turn to pick the theme and she’s chosen ‘Second time around/recycle’. This is a favourite theme of Carol’s and mine. I once made 10 ATCs for a recycle theme – we were only supposed to make 2 LOL!
I made my card sometime ago and at the time I was seeing a lot of 'bow' cards that were embellished with lots of lace, pearls and flourishes so decided to have a go at making one. I used a template to make the pieces for the card which I bought from someone on the internet. You’re emailed files for the individual pieces to be printed onto card and hand cut out. You also get files you can use in various electronic cutting machines which I guess makes it a lot easier, and faster, to cut them out. At this point you’re probably expecting me to say where I bought the template from………………. but I’m not going to give the link. I’ve heard, around various internet sites, that there’s a dispute over the ownership of this template. I’ve spent a lot of time looking but can’t find anyone else selling the template other than the person I bought it from. I’m sure they’re the legitimate owner/designer because the templates all come with a copyright printed on them. So if you want to make a bow card you’ll need to search the internet and decide for yourself if you’re buying from a legitimate source.
 

 The base card is hexagonal shaped and cut from pale green pearlised card. You get a template for this but I used a Tonic die from the Secret Spring Hexagon Kaleidoscope Box Lid and Base Set. Both layers of the bow are cut from card that was printed with designs from Craft Artist kits. The pale green striped paper is from a kit called Posy Party and the floral paper is from a kit called Occasions. They’re both designed by Victoria Nelson. The ‘tails’ of the bow are made from a base layer of pale green pearlised card and then a layer of Tonic’s Craft Perfect card in Coral Pink. I wasn’t happy with this colour, I think it swamps the rest of the colours and I should have changed it. I ran the coral pink card through a flower embossing folder and dotted the centre of each flower with Ivory Seashell Nuvo Crystal Drops by Tonic.
 

Once the basic bow card is made you can move onto the fun bit – adding all the embellishments and frills! The 'lace'  in the middle of the bow is a panel cut from a camisole. It was far too pretty to throw out, so I’ve had it in my stash for quite a while. I stitched the sides together and fussed with it until I was happy with the way it sat on the front of the bow. I then topped it with a paper rose and added some pearls threaded onto wire. Then I cut flourishes out of dark green card (Emerald Hessian by Tonic), chopped them into smaller pieces and arranged them around the bow.

 

 The card was made for a very dear friend who I’ve known for several years (possibly since 2006?) and who was due to have a milestone birthday – hence the number gems at the top of the card!


I dotted some resin flowers around the edges of the card and placed pink pearls in the centre of them. I also added strings of clear gems around the straight edges.  
The inside of the card was decorated with the same papers/card that was used on the front. The sentiment is a die from Creative Crafting World’s Paper Boutique range of cutting dies – collection number 3.
 

 I now had the problem of getting it to my friend, still in one piece, through the mail system. I found a very old box in my craft room that was almost the perfect size but was very faded and battered – so I decorated that too! Another item that was used for a second time and recycled. I’m pleased to say the card arrived safely and intact.
 

I hope you have fun with this theme and can’t wait to see what you all reuse/recycle. Don't forget that the CD Sunday Challenge is about making items using something printed from a craft CD Rom. You can use other craft items on your card/project, such as a stamp or die, but you must include something from a craft Cd. So if you like colouring stamped images or digis you can still enter the challenge but you must include something from a Cd such as a backing paper, a sentiment or a butterfly for example. In your blog post/Facebook entry you must give the name of the Cd you've used. This is important if the items you've used can be bought as a download as well as a CD as the Design team can't tell which has been used unless you tell us. Your entry can't be considered for a prize if you haven't used a Cd or if you haven't told us the name of the CD in your post. The Design team still leave comments on your blog but there's no chance of winning if the above hasn't been followed. We now have a Facebook page if you don't have a blog - The CD SundayChallenge. 

9 comments:

  1. A mini work of art Pamela, wonderful keepsake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - a wonderful keepsake and it is all mine. It is so beautiful - even more so in the 'flesh'. Thank you again Pamela.
    What amazes me is that we all write our posts individually but Pamela also mentions the time when she went mad on some ATCs with a recycle theme. I knew she had made many but forgotten it was 10.
    Beautiful card.
    Carol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela. What an amazing card. I've not seen one like this before. I can see the amount of time and care that you put into this and it is a beautiful keepsake for Carol. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, your amazing design is gorgeous. Love your recycling lace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous - what a wonderful surprise it must have been for Carol when she opened the box. I actually love the coral - it just might have swamped the card if you had simply embossed it and left it at that, but the addition of those tiny nuvo drop flower centres breaks it up and makes it bring out the coral of the roses in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lost for words Pamela.....This is just stunning. A perfect keepsake too xx

    Lisa
    craftycard-designs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen a bow card before and this one is just beautiful.
    Thanks for your comment on my crhistmas cards. The mittens etc are all photos - but I can see when I look at it now they do look 3d!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW I love bow cards and ours is now up there as a fav. Stunning and Im sure your friend loved it, Hazelx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing what we can all find to recycle - very inventive! A very special card for a special friend. Sorry I'm so late commenting, I just don't know where the time has gone lately!
    Jocelyn x

    ReplyDelete

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) commencing 25 May 2018 by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.